Tuesday, January 17, 2012

16 Jan 2012

Hi all!

I got my letters and packages!!!!!!! Thank you all! I am still
continuing to read them. One of the APs came to our district meeting
this week and he said that he thinks I probably had more letters than
anyone else in the mission. Haha. I made sure to let my district
leader know that I actually do have friends haha.

Sister Empey finally gets Christmas!


Anyways, this week was kind of hard. We had 3 potential investigators,
one of which was Carla, that could have gotten baptized this Sunday.
Ugh, kind of disappointing because she said in her head she was
already baptized and she doesnt need to be again, regardless of what
we try to help her see. 2, a 14yr old boy. His mom is Catholic and she
has to agree to the baptism. But she thinks hes not ready. And another
guy, 21 yrs old says he isn´t ready for baptism. So it was kind of
frustrating.
Its kind of slow going, but me and Sis Checketts feel renewed and want
to make a difference in this area. We have been told since...well
since the MTC/CTM (I think) that our goal should always be we need to
leave an area better then we found it. And honestly, I dont see a HUGE
improvement since I got here. And I dont know how long Im going to be
in this area (Im thinking another 8 weeks or so) so we need to make
sure to get to work. There is soo much to do.
Carla, a quick story about her. She had been thinking about religions
and stuff and she has been separated from her husband for a year.
Anyways...by random chance we knocked on her door and she let us in.
Later she told us that we were the first people that she had ever let
into her house (that she didnt know). Sis Checketts said the lessons
we had with her were some of the most spiritual she has ever had. Oh I
just love Carla. I thought for sure she would get baptized. I know she
will...but right now...no. Which is sad. Maybe before I leave? There
is a lot of people to visit, but I really want to keep in contact with
her because she is SOOO close. She has faith and knows that Heavenly
Father has a plan for her, I just cant wait for her to be apart of the
church....someday I hope!

Lets see...what else can I tell you? We are trying to help a family in
the ward right now. The father is a recently re-activated member in
the ward. They have a son,4 and a daughter on the way. The little boy
is hilarious. The other day he told us we needed to talk the right way
in Portuguese and he would teach us. Anyway, the wife is not a member.
And she doesnt have a desire to be. But honestly, I think she is
ready...so we have to go slow, but we are going to keep on working
with her.

Oh I have another story. Its about this teenager...I think? Sheesh
people in Brazil are so much different ages then I think. For
instance, we have 2 teenage boys investigated the church right now.
Both are 14 and BOTH I swear should be 18! Another investigator is 21
and I swear he was like 18. Haha. Anyways, so Fabricio. He has a
mother who is a member. A father who passed away like 2 months ago
(and I think he WAS a member, but decided to be atheist?). Anyways, so
their 2 sons are not members of the church. But Fabricio is really
interested. He loves to study and he has read through the WHOLE Gospel
Principles manual! Crazy huh?! Haha we dont even need to teach him any
lessons because he knows everything! JK, we still do. The only thing
he is missing is praying about the church and asking if its true.
Anyways, yesterday we came over and answered some questions and talked
a little with him and his gf and his mom. And then they made fresh
orange julius for us! And popcorn!!! Mom I got popcorn on SUNDAY! :)
It made me really happy.

Also...because of all the sun Ive gotten here, people ask me if Im
brazilian. Haha and then hey hear me talk....ya...about that..haha.
But I thought it was kind of funny. There are a lot more white people
here then youd think. So I dont stick out too bad. But Sis Checketts
kind of does...you dont see many red heads in this area of Brazil I
think haha.

And guess what?! Every day for the past 2 weeks my body thinks its
funny and I wake up at 6:03 or 6:04 EVERY morning. So annoying. I can
stay and enjoy my bed until 6:29...I have no idea why it thinks its
time to get up. So annoying. Also...its been raining for like a week
straight. Its a nice break from the heat...but still...we have to
learn to be a little creative so the things we carry in our backpacks
dont get wet (putting stuff in plastic bags and such)

So this is the deal. Im here. And I know the church is true. I know
that it can change lives. And I know if I try my hardest through the
good times and the bad, and I try to do my part (follow all the rules,
etc), that Heavenly Father can use me. Thats my goal on my
mission...to be able to let Heavenly Father use me the way that he
needs. If there wasnt work to be done here, we wouldnt be here! So
here we go.

Here is to another week. I love you all. Thanks for your continuing
support. I hope you are all safe! Ill talk to you all next week!

Love,
Sister Empey

No comments:

Post a Comment